Re: [squid-users] Re: Authentication data...

From: Boniforti Flavio <boniforti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:42:03 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> 0. You must be using Squid-3

mmhh... "unstable"?

> 1. Squid must be running as a reverse-proxy with authentication enabled,
> in front of your web server where this PHP script resides.

mmhh... what means "reverse-proxy"?

> 2. Configure Squid to forward the requests using the cache_peer directive
> in squid.conf using the originserver and login= cache_peer options.

mmhh.. gotta take a look at the manual, right?

> 3. Make the PHP script read the Basic authentication user name from the
> request. See the PHP manual "Chapter 17. HTTP authentication
> with PHP" for details on how to do this.

Gotta take a look at this too

> Alternatively, you can use a redirector helper to add the login details to
> the request by rewriting the URL to
> http://user:password@server/path/to/page.php (this approach works in all
> Squid versions)

Since all this stuff is getting a bit too complicated, I'll ask another
question (I'm still confused):

Is there any way (other than NCSA_Auth) to have "username" available to
PHP in some variable?

Thank you very much...

--
Boniforti Flavio