[squid-users] Re. Squid 2.5 with WCCP2 (on Redhat 9)

From: Simon Vella <svella@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:11:18 +0200

Hi,

We're trying to set up Squid 2.5 with WCCPv2 (on a Redhat 9 server). From
all the docs we found, we hardly found any info on WCCP2 with Squid. The
only info is that found with the patch for Squid for WCCP2.

Could you please clarify some questions?
a) The WCCPv2 patch (found at
http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/patches/squid-2.2.wccp2.patch) should
work with Squid 2.5, right? Is there another patch for Squid 2.5 to support
WCCPv2?
b) The WCCPv2 patch for Squid makes squid talk WCCPv2 with the routers. So
why do we need the ip_wccp.o module for the kernel?
c) The Cisco router (when it has a cache in its WCCP table) sets up a GRE
tunnel with the Squid box. As such, we need the kernel to support GRE
tunneling, and we need to setup the GRE tunnel from the Linux side too,
right? Also, the linux box must be set up to forward packets.
d) The Linux box must be set up to use ip_tables to redirect the HTTP
requests received through the GRE tunnel, to the squid port (8080 in our
case). The destination IP is not changed, so does the Squid still accept the
HTTP packet because it is set in HTTP_accelerator mode?

Hope someone finds time to answer my long email :)

10x

Simon Vella