RE: [squid-users] Re. Squid 2.5 with WCCP2 (on Redhat 9)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:13:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Simon Vella wrote:

> So regarding the GRE tunnel, do we still need the ip_gre module in the
> kernel? We will be using WCCPv2, so could you direct us to the proper
> ip_wccp.c module?

As for WCCPv1 you need either a patched ip_gre module with support for
WCCPv2 GRE packets, or a ip_wccp module with support for WCCPv2 GRE
packets.. you can not use both.

The modules can be found from the same locations as the Squid patches.

> One last question. If we set the SQUID to listen to port 80, would we still
> need to use the ip_tables NAT redirect?

You still need those NAT rules. All WCCP (both versions) does it to make
the router route the client packets via GRE to the cache server. The cache
server must then intercept these and send them to the cache application.
(after decapsulating them from the GRE encapsulation).