Re: [squid-users] unix local users squid log tracking

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:19:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Juan A Seuc wrote:

> I tried to do my homework. I enabled in the squid.conf file:
>
> acl redhat7 src 192.168.0.254/255.255.255.0
> http_access allow redhat7
> http_access deny all
> authenticate_program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/passwd
> ident_lookup_access allow redhat7
> ident_lookup_access deny all
>
> But still I am not able to get a login/password prompt when they invoke the
> browser, neither a login name in the access.log file. just the server IP
> address.

You are confusing topics slightly I think..

ident is getting the users login name via the ident protocol, not
authentication (login+password).

for authentication you need to use the proxy_auth acl type, and configure
the appropriate authentication helper allowing Squid to verify the
login+password. See the Squid FAQ chapter on authentication.