Re: [squid-users] Seamless authentication for squid linux in a NT Domain using samba and winbind!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:12:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 Thomas.Bauer@hansgrohe.com wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I wanna run a squid proxy server on Red Hat 9.0 in an Win NT 4 environment. At the moment squid is running on NT but it sucks
> and crashes all the time.
> I set squid up on linux and tried the msnt authenticate. It works but I don't want a prompt if you start the internet explorer.
> So I tried to set up squid with winbind.
>
> I tried all the configurations and the hints in all threads I found.
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html
>
> wbinfo -a mydomain\myuser%mypasswd SUCCESS

Does it also report success for challenge/response authentication? If not
your Samba is not built with support for challenge/response authentication
via winbind and NTLM can not work without this (NTLM is
challenge/response authentication based).

> /usr/local/squid/libexec/wb_auth -d
>
> I don't know where my problem is hidden. I use Samba 3.0.0 and Squid-2.5-STABLE3.

Ah.. again the same question. This must be the 5 time this week.

For Samba-3 you MUST use the ntlm_auth helper included in the Samba
distribution, not the older helpers shipped with Squid. See the Samba
documentation.

This single helper supports both basic and ntlm authentication schemes for
a number of different programs, Squid included.