Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a reverse proxy to balance traffic with stickiness

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:16:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Flavio Catalani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read that squid can balance the requests when used as a reverse proxy
> using stickiness over srcIP.
>
> On http://devel.squid-cache.org/old_projects.html#rproxy it is described as
> beta.
>
> I could not find any info on how to configure squid using sticky load
> balancing. Can anyone help me?

This function is not yet in mainline Squid, but can be found in the rproxy
patch at the location above..

> with stickiness on srcIP: every request from the same IP must be satisfied
> (if not in cache) from the same WebServer.

Please note that there are perfectly valid situations where a client may
change source IP address in the middle of a session. You can not assume
the source IP is the clients IP. The client may be connecting to your site
via a mesh of cache servers, and different requests during the same
session may travel different paths in this cache mesh.

One simple example is a company having two cache servers in a load
balanced manner. Another example is companies having more than two cache
servers or peering with other cache servers.