Re: [squid-users] How squid cache objects ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:17:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Aqil wrote:

> If my cache_dir line allocates space of 5000MB, and
> when all those 5000MB are already used, How squid will
> behave regarding new pages which are still not cached
> ? Will it replace the oldest objects, or will it pass
> the request to the internet ?

It will automatically delete old objects to make place for newer more
interesting objects.

> I'm curious what is happening while I am visiting
> mail.yahoo.com with squid as proxy server since it
> takes more time to load the fields where I have to put
> my email address and its password...
> MS proxy behaves very differently and it loads that
> page relatively faster than squid.

This is most likely caused by some other problem. Unfortunately most often
browser bugs in their implementation of HTTP.

Is there any difference if you try another browser type (i.e. Mozilla if
you today are using MSIE)