[squid-users] Routing from within squid...

From: Jordan Young <jyoung@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:04:34 -0500

I have gotten most of my kinks worked out with my last squid project, so
here's the next part that has come about. Somebody please tell me how I
might be able to get this to work correctly.

I have a server that is designed for SNMP monitoring of various network
devices, running webmail servers, and other things, and unfortunately it was
the only Linux box I had sitting around here at the office that would still
be around. In other words, it must stay here.

Also, within our same office building, a company just recently had a 6mbps
DSL connection installed, and has offered to let us use it for some web
traffic. (How nice of them)

So, due to funding, we want to use this connection, because having another
T1 dropped into the office would be horrendous to pay for each month. Now
there are several things though that are also limiting the T1, so there are
reasons for routing all web traffic to the proxy server. The primary
limitation is the fact that we are running 10 phone lines over our T1, so we
get 896kbps effective bandwidth. Secondly, we have colocated customers
here, and we also offer access to other customers within our building.

So, my squid server has 2 ethernet cards. One has a public IP address
(eth0), coming off the T1 that we have in our office. The second ethernet
card (eth1, as expected) has a wireless bridge on it and a private IP
address (192.168.x.x), which connects to the other company's access point.
Routing is set up appropriately, as I can ping through both interfaces.

Due to some limitations that we have, however, as we are a wireless ISP, we
need to have the ability to access our radios in the field, which are on
10.x.x.x network addresses. In Squid, I know that you can set the outgoing
TCP host, which does work for us, so that it will automatically route out
all traffic over the secondary ethernet card fine. Where the problem lies
is that I want squid to NOT send 10.x.x.x, and various other blocks of IP
addresses that we have, over eth1.

The question then, is how do I accomplish this effectively?

Any help will most certainly be appreciated, as this is definitely a
positive thing for our office to have more bandwidth and save money. Of
course, if anybody has any WISP questions, I am not as clueless as with
squid. :)

--Jordan Young
BuzNet Support
jyoung@buz.net