Re: [squid-users] Routing from within squid...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:41:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Jordan Young wrote:

> Due to some limitations that we have, however, as we are a wireless ISP, we
> need to have the ability to access our radios in the field, which are on
> 10.x.x.x network addresses. In Squid, I know that you can set the outgoing
> TCP host, which does work for us, so that it will automatically route out
> all traffic over the secondary ethernet card fine.

You also need policy routing for this to actually happen.

Squid can assign the source address of the connections it initiates, but
routing is controlled by your OS and is normally only done on the
destination address. However, with policy routing you can set up different
routing rules depending on the source IP address. See the Linux Advanced
Routing HOWTO for instructions on how to do these kinds of things.

> Where the problem lies is that I want squid to NOT send 10.x.x.x, and
> various other blocks of IP addresses that we have, over eth1.

Sorry, I do not understand the question. Please rephrase or give some
examples.

> The question then, is how do I accomplish this effectively?

Usually there is nothing else required than to set up routing properly,
and in a few cases (usually when the same server is used for other tasks
as well which should be routed differently) have Squid assign the source
address of outgoing traffic to aid the routing in making the correct
routing decision.