[squid-users] Authentication queries and log anomalies.

From: David <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:22:10 +0100

Hi all,

With your help I've now got my squid box authenticating from our NT PDC, so
thanks for that.

However, I have a number of entries in the access log like the following...

1066997088.437 1 10.16.87.1 TCP_IMS_HIT/304 286 GET http://
www.squidguard.org/images/links.gif foo\barname NONE/- image/gif

1066997088.440 3 10.16.87.1 TCP_DENIED/407 1883 GET http://
www.squidguard.org/images/contrib.gif - NONE/- text/html

Now the first entry is fine and is included to show (I think) things are
configured correctly or at least some authentication is succeeding. The
second entry is typical of the ones I don't understand. Why am I receiving
TCP_DENIED when the majority of requests are ok? As you can see from the ip
address both entries are for the same user and are in fact sequential.

The system is a Debian box running Squid 2.5.4 & Samba 3.0.0final

and from squid.conf...

auth_param ntlm program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth foo-domain/bar-pdc
auth_param ntlm children 5
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth foo-domain/bar-pdc
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong here please?

Cheers,

David.