Re: [squid-users] Read Receipts- Why? IT'S A MAILING LIST!

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:33:47 +0100

On Friday 24 October 2003 1:17 pm, Marc Elsen wrote:

> "Mark A. Lewis" wrote:
> > I have noticed that quite a few of the people posting here request read
> > receipts. I for one feel that this is basically foolish and should be
> > stopped. It is not only a pain for all the subscribers, but produces a
> > ton of COMPLETELY unneeded mail from both ends.
>
> I simply hit cancel on the request. Bit like the dropping
> attitude of my Firewall for several 'situations'.
> May be the best policy on the long run, since people may have
> this as default setting on their mailer, and you and I are not going
> to control this in the forseeable future...

What I like about this solution is that you (the recipient) are actually more
in control of what happens than the senders Mark is complaining about...

You can send them a receipt confirming delivery whether they requested one or
not.

You can ignore receipt requests even if they do request them.

Therefore you have more control over whether the receipts get sent than the
person sending the emails does.

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes.
If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.