Re: [squid-users] Log file size limit

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:53:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Fernando Maior wrote:

> Also, I guess it would be great not to change the
> cache_mem option in order to avoid taking too much
> time for writing the clean swap.state file.

cache_mem is not relevant to the time it takes to write a clean swap.state
file. The amount of disk cache is (cache_dir directive).

Squid does not stop while writing a clean swap.state file, but the writing
of a clean swap.state does have a impact on performance. Writing a clean
swap.state file is on most systems an operation in the order of at most a
few seconds, but it obviously depends a bit on how much traffic Squid is
processing while it is writing the clean swap.state file and the size of
your cache.

Note: If your Squid has been pushed into swap by other processes using a
lot of memory or poor memory management policy selected by your OS then
writing a clean swap.state can take considerable time as the OS then needs
to pagein Squid from the swap..