Re: [squid-users] Squid Traffic Accounting

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:12:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, oleg-s wrote:

> > No, this is not a good approach for technical reasons, but it can be
> > solved by adding native quota support to Squid.
>
> is there some plans in the development team about it?

As always the plans for development entirely depends on if there is a
sponsor for a project or not.

Ideas without a sponsor rarely gets anywhere beyond discussions on
squid-users, so I prefer to focus discussion on how to solve problems with
what there is available in Squid until there is a active sponsor.

> > However, personally I would prefer the relaxed approach where users are
> > allowed to temporarily go above quota. If not users will not ever be able
> > to download very large objects as they will always be above their quota.
> > With the relaxed approach they will be able to download this large object,
> > but then won't be able to access the Internet for a longer time
> > compensating for the fact that they overused their quota.
>
> again, think of one time used user logins.

None of my customers are in such situation. If one of my current customers
wants quota support in Squid they would certainly want the relaxed
approach.

> > What is important in both is that the user when denied access due to quota
> > gets a clear message indicating what is the problem and when he will get
> > access again, and optionally a link to where to purchase/negotiate
> > additional bandwidth.
>
> this is where "deny_info" comes into play. we use it.

Indeed, but sometimes it is a little more complex. In this case you would
need to redirect (via deny_info) to the quota server in order to get full
functionality.