Re: [squid-users] Recommend cache_mem size

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:16:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, unixware wrote:

> how can i improve Disk I/O performance ??

What cache_dir type are you using? You should be using one of the async
cache_dir types (aufs or diskd depending on your OS type).

> should Freebsd OS faster than Redhat or any kernel
> compilation needed ?

FreeBSD and Linux generally get the same speeds, but Squid needs to be set
up slightly differently.

In case of FreeBSD some OS tuning is required in parallell to the Squid
configuration (diskd has strict requirements on shared memory and IPC
message queues far beyond the default OS settings)