Re: [squid-users] Routing to multiple Parent proxies

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:49:18 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Adeoye Oke wrote:

> The constraints I have to work with are:
> 1. The parent proxies do not support ICP queries

So you need prefer_direct off or never_direct.

> 2. Some of the proxies become really slow, so I would need to send
> requests to the faster proxies first.

For this you basically need ICP.

Alternatively it might be possible to extend Squid with some statistics
trying to measure the "slowness" of a parent HTTP proxy to mostly avoid
very slow parents, but this is also heavily depending on the sites and
content accessed and not so easy to get correct.

> 3. I need the replacement and changing of these proxies to be as dynamic
> as possible

Don't quite get what the requirement is here... care to give a few
examples what you refer to by "as dynamic as possible".