Re: [squid-users] time based Instant Message blocking

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:14:08 -0500

<Private email forwarded to list>

On Monday 27 October 2003 08:16 pm, Manu C S wrote:
> Sorry to barge in on you like this.

It's better to ask the list than just one person - you get more replies that
way. Additionally, anyone who has the same question in the future benefits
from having the answer already in the archives.

> You mentioned that I need to upgrade to squid 2.5stable

I'm not sure if "need" is the best term, but it is definitely a very good
idea.

> Well, I downloaded squid 2.5 stable 4 and built it.
> Unfortunately I cannot run that on IPCop 1.3 because
> squid 2.5 uses glibc 2.3 that is not supported in IPCop.

Strange - we're running RedHat 7.3 (which has glibc 2.2.5) and had no problems
building Squid. You're building Squid from source, right?

> Also, my internet connection with squid is very, very slow.
> Does squid typically slow down the internet connection significantly?

I'm going to guess that by "slow" you mean somewhat unresponsive (high
latency).

Squid will normally add some latency, but it shouldn't be that noticable,
unless the box is so horribly overloaded that it is choking on the load added
by Squid

Are you running Squid as a transparent proxy? If you are, switch to
configuring the browsers to use Squid. At our site we saw a significant drop
in latency after doing this.

Adam