Re: [squid-users] time based Instant Message blocking

From: Manu C S <manu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:53:26 -0600 (CST)

>It's better to ask the list than just one person - you get more replies that
>way. Additionally, anyone who has the same question in the future benefits
>from having the answer already in the archives.

Yes, sir.

>> Well, I downloaded squid 2.5 stable 4 and built it.
>> Unfortunately I cannot run that on IPCop 1.3 because
>> squid 2.5 uses glibc 2.3 that is not supported in IPCop.
>
>Strange - we're running RedHat 7.3 (which has glibc 2.2.5) and had no problems
>building Squid. You're building Squid from source, right?

Yes, I am building it from source.
I'm building it on RH8.0 because IPCop doesn't have a compiler.
After building it, when I check the symbols in the squid
executable using nm, I get:
   $nm squid | grep GLIBC_2.3
    U __ctype_b_loc@@GLIBC_2.3
    U __ctype_tolower_loc@@GLIBC_2.3
    U __ctype_toupper_loc@@GLIBC_2.3

>Are you running Squid as a transparent proxy?

No. All the clients have their browsers/messengers configured
to use the proxy.

I'm using an IPCop box as my proxy & firewall.
It's a P3 box with 20 GB hard disk. I only have iptables
& squid running on this system.
The Internet speed is noticeably slow (so slow in fact that I
could not even download stuff from my external ftp server)

I've used this setup of IPCop (firewall & proxy) before and never
had problems. I used to control web access mainly through the
firewall (iptables) earlier. This time, I blocked all port 80
accesses at the firewall so that the users would be forced
to go via squid but the speed is significantly slow.

Regards,
Manu