RE: [squid-users] time based Instant Message blocking

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:24:56 -0500

>>> Well, I downloaded squid 2.5 stable 4 and built it.
>>> Unfortunately I cannot run that on IPCop 1.3 because
>>> squid 2.5 uses glibc 2.3 that is not supported in IPCop.

>> Strange - we're running RedHat 7.3 (which has glibc 2.2.5)
>> and had no problems building Squid. You're building Squid
>> from source, right?

> Yes, I am building it from source.
> I'm building it on RH8.0 because IPCop doesn't have a compiler.

RedHat 8.0 uses glibc 2.3, so when you compile Squid on it, Squid gets
linked with glibc 2.3. Do you have access to a Linux box that has an
older version of glibc? If so, try building Squid on that.

>> Are you running Squid as a transparent proxy?

> No.

> I'm using an IPCop box as my proxy & firewall.
> It's a P3 box with 20 GB hard disk. I only have iptables
> & squid running on this system.

How much RAM is in the machine? How fast is the disk (rotational speed
and data rate)? Those are the two areas where Squid can really bog
down a system.

> The Internet speed is noticeably slow (so slow in fact that I
> could not even download stuff from my external ftp server)

Looking at your past emails, I see that you are using UFS for the
cache_dir type. That is only recommended for a few concurrent users;
anything beyond that should be using one of the async I/O modes (aufs
or diskd - aufs being preferred on Linux). Support for aufs must be
compiled into Squid - see 'configure --help' for details.

You might also want to remote the cache_store_log setting - store.log
is generally only used for debugging, and the logging it creates puts
extra load on your disk.

Adam