RE: [squid-users] How Many Concurrent Connections

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:01:19 +1100

Please keep the thread on-list... not least because direct mail from me
to you bounces off of some annoying spam-manual-check, which I don't
have the time to fiddle around with.

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 06:55, JOHNSON DAVID R wrote:
> ok , well i am running squid v 2.4STABLE and it i quitting on me every 3-4
> days..

2.4 is very old - and no longer supported by the squid developers,
except for commercial clients. For free support and troubleshooting, as
well as a plethora of bugfixes - including security sensitive ones - I
urge you to upgrade to 2.5 latest stable.

> i run RH8 with dual xeon procs, 1 gig mem and a 10/100. What in the config
> do i need to *tweak*?

Kernel ephemeral ports, possible other kernel settings depending on the
RH defaults, user fd limits, rebuild squid. There are documents on this
on the web - such as Joe Coopers tuning squid whitepaper...

> Is there any file or anythin i can send you in order for you to lend me a
> hand? PLease?

I wouldn't assume that your problem is number of concurrent connections
- follow the FAQ guidelines for submitting a squid bug report, and
you'll gather information that you can probably use to identify the
cause.

Rob