Re: [squid-users] Squid/Linux crash - please help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:32:20 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Mathew Thomas wrote:

> I have got squid running on HP ML530 with two Xeon 3.0 GHz, 8GB Mem, and
> 8x36 Gb hard disk. Six disks have been dedicated for Cache and using
> reiserfs filesystem and mounted as /cache1 to /cache6.

Total overkill server... unless ofcourse you plan on running 8 instances
of Squid on this box..

> Yesterday the system crashed. Other than ping response, it was not doing
> anything. I couldn't login into the console. I had to cold boot the
> server in order to bring up the server. I checked the logs, and I can't
> see anything unusual or wrong. Squid is working fine after the cold
> boot.

These kinds of symptoms is almost always a kernel or hardware issue.

I would recommend to always keep the console logged in (in text mode) and
disable the screen saver, or alternatively have a serial console always
connected. Also enable Sys-RQ support. Enabling kernel crash-dump support
may also be helpful (even if maybe not very practical with such large
amounts of memory).

> The server is not under heavy load, ( probably less than one tenth of
> the load we are planning put to the box) . I don't know where to start
> and look at the problem. Please help. I am attaching the output of the
> top command and my squid.conf file.

Neither really matters. You need to gather data on what was going in when
the system hang, not when it operates normally.