[squid-users] slow Internet access using squid [Was: time based Instant Message blocking]

From: <manu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:08:00 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

>How much RAM is in the machine? How fast is the disk (rotational speed
>and data rate)?

The machine hardware configuration is:
    RAM: 128 MB
    Hard disk: 20 GB
    P3 1.2 processor
How do I find out the rotational speed & data rate?

>Looking at your past emails, I see that you are using UFS for the
>cache_dir type. That is only recommended for a few concurrent users;
>anything beyond that should be using one of the async I/O modes (aufs
>or diskd - aufs being preferred on Linux). Support for aufs must be
>compiled into Squid - see 'configure --help' for details.
>
>You might also want to remote the cache_store_log setting - store.log
>is generally only used for debugging, and the logging it creates puts

Adam, I've done both of your suggestions, but the access speed is
still noticeably slow. For instance,
to access google.com
    with squid: 11 seconds
    without squid: 3 seconds
to access msn-messenger:
    with squid: 31 seconds
    without squid: 6 seconds

I know that's not very concrete evidence, but it was just to
give an idea that access is very slow with squid and I'm getting
a lot of complaints from the students.

Do you require any more data?
I don't know if this is because I have misconfigured my proxy
or it's something to do with hardware/memory/cpu resources.
(This is rather urgent since college re-opens in 4 days
and I'll have more students & more complaints to deal with!)

Regards,
Manu