Re: [squid-users] Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:42:33 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Stephen Bailey (Backbone Team) wrote:

> I am looking for an alternative solution to the Network Appliance Web
> Caches C760 platform.
>
> Will Squid be a sufficient product for use in an ISP environment?

Depends on the bandwidth requirements and how many proxy servers you are
prepared to have running.

> We currently have over 120million HTTP requests per day with a ful set
> of access-control filters.

This will require quite a number of Squid servers. A realistic figure is
that one correcly set up Squid server (in terms of both hardware and
software) is capable of 300 req/s sustained peak load. It is possible to
build slightly faster boxes but only at a substantially increased hardware
cost if you want to have caching. But it can probably be built with about
the same rack density as a solution based on netapp C760 servers..

If you are only interested in access controls and no caching then higher
rates can be aheived per box, probably as high as 1500 req/s or more with
todays hardware.