Re: [squid-users] Having a freak problem

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:33:51 +0100

nikonlinux wrote:

> Hi, everybody...
>
> Iīm heavi this freak problem...
>
> Iīve setting up a Linux Box as Squid-cahe and gatway
> for may network. The problem is:
>
> LAN: 129.12.7.0/24
>
> Gateway/Proxy: --> eth0: 129.12.7.1/24
> --> eth1: 129.12.7.2/24
>
> ADSL-Router: 129.12.7.254/24
>
> (see: Itīs all in the same class C)
>
> Iīm using this linux box as Gateway just to make sure
> that my clientes will no change the gateway manualy and
> start to have access to the internet.
> In my linux-box, when I can ping my LAN I canīt ping my
> ADSL-Router, or when I can ping bouth of them I canīt
> ping or have access to www.Iīd already config
>
> my /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Whatīs going on? Do I really need to set ip a gateway
> to set up a Squid-cahe?Donīt we have another way to do
> this saftely?
>
> Iīm using:
> --> 2 NICīs Realteck
> --> Red Hat Linux 7.1
> --> ipchains (Iīve tried IPTABLES too.)
>
> Thanks a lot!!!

 Note that squid and ip issues are unrelated.

 A squid box, can be anywhere on your perimeter on Intranet network,
 provided it has adequate Internet access or alternatively using
 parents who have (see FAQ).

 But for your Linux box, your to-ADSL-Net and your Intranet LAN
 can't be on the same ip NET. You must define different networks
 and use adequate routing statements.

 M.