Re: [squid-users] How to: eliminate Squid messages error to my clients

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:20:54 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, NAP wrote:

> I have installed Squid-2.5.STABLE4 on FreeBSD 5,1 and I am very happy. But I need to eliminate that Squid gives messages of error to my users.

Basically you can't. By HTTP specification a proxy (i.e. Squid) MUST give
some kind of response back to the client once the client has sent the
request to the proxy.

There is many things which differ when using a proxy compared to when not
using a proxy. How most errors is detected and displayed to the user is
one such thing. When not using a proxy errors is always detected by the
browser (host not found, could not connect to host etc) and presented in
various manners as the browser vendor seems fit, but when using a proxy
almost all these errors are detected by the proxy and the proxy needs to
send a message back to the browser explaining what happened. It is not
technically possible to cause all errors to be detected by the browser
like when not using a proxy.

There is however methods you can use to minimize the amount of errors. One
quite effective such measure is to make sure that unknown hosts is
detected by the browser before sending the request to the proxy. Such
detection can be done via proxy-pac scripts trying to resolve the IP
address of the requested server and indicating that the browser should go
direct if the IP address can not be found. Unfortunately I do not have the
exact syntax of how to do such check in a pac script but I am pretty sure
there is others on this list who do.