Re: [squid-users] 2 questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:50:41 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Elton S. Fenner wrote:

> 1- I made some authentication tests and when the username has no dot
> it goes fine, but the username pattern is "firstname.lastname" (with a
> dot between first and last name), so I get error on authentication. Is
> there a way too authenticate such users?

What authentication backend are you using?

Squid does not care what structure your login names is using. This is a
business between your users and the authentication backend database used.

> Second question:
> 2- I would like to know what is the sequence of events in this scenario:
>
> client browser
> \/
> local proxy (with authentication and squidGuarg)
> \/
> parent proxy (no authebticatiob, no bloks)
> \/
> internet
>
> When a user requests a URL what happens first, and next step, and
> then... till he gets a block page or the requested page.

1. Browser sends requests to local proxy.

2. Local proxy verifies it's http_access requirements, including
authentication.

3a. If user not yet authenticated request is denied requesting
authentication.

3b. Request is sent to squidGuard

4a. squidGuard either returns the request to Squid for further processing

4b. or returns that the request was blocked.

5. request forwarded to parent proxy

6. parent proxy checks it's http_access rules

7. request forwarded to Internet

8. Response from Internet to parent proxy

9. Response from parent proxy to local proxy

10. Response from local proxy to client.