Re: [squid-users] fastening squid to a port: problem

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:04:04 +0000

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 10:26 pm, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 07:56, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Payal Rathod wrote:
> > > Thanks for the mail. Well, I have only one proxy running, and webserve
> > > ris on 80. But I believe I mentioned port 0? What might be the reason
> > > that squid behaves taht way when port is set to 0 or none?
> >
> > It is not possible to use port 0.
> >
> > What I think is going on is that when port 0 is specified in the user
> > agent (browser) it connects to port 80.
>
> I suspect that when the port is 0 the browser disables the use of the
> proxy, thus going direct through NAT or normal routing.

I agree. I just tried (using the Konqueror browser) the URL
http://www.squid-cache.org:0 and it simply ignored the specified port 0 and
used 80 by default as usual. Just to be certain I also tried a URL on a web
server I run myself, and which I know is definitely not listening on port 0,
and that worked as normal as well.

Regards,

Antony.

--
The first ninety percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent
of the time, and the last ten percent takes the remaining ninety percent.