RE: [squid-users] time based Instant Message blocking

From: Manu C S <manu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:59:32 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

Just thought I'd close this thread.
I installed squid 2.5 with dlmalloc and found that I
could use MSN messenger but the speed improved only slightly.

My proxy was checking for a list of pornographic
sites (4000+ in all) and the format I was using was

acl porn dstdom_regex -i "/etc/squid/porn1"

where the file "/etc/squid/porn1"
had lines of the form
    .xxx.com
Based on Adam Aube's suggestion about literal dots in regex,
I changed that to:
    xxx\.com
I also changed my RAM from 128 to 256 MB.
That took care of my speed problem.

Lastly, about yahoo messenger: I found that only one student was
able to use ymessenger. Upon checking I found that it was because
she had a different profile compared to the other students.
Also she was using a ymessenger binary on the server unlike the
other students who were using local binaries. I made the same
profiles for all students and forced everyone to use the same
binary. That fixed my yahoo problem though I have no clue why
it did. The versions of ymessengers were the same on all machines!

Anyway, my proxy's up & running. Thanks to everyone who chipped
in with suggestions.

Regards,
Manu