RE: [squid-users] time based Instant Message blocking

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:20:09 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Manu C S wrote:

> acl porn dstdom_regex -i "/etc/squid/porn1"
>
> where the file "/etc/squid/porn1"
> had lines of the form
> .xxx.com

These SHOULD be a dstdom acl, not a dstdom_regex.

> Based on Adam Aube's suggestion about literal dots in regex,
> I changed that to:
> xxx\.com
> I also changed my RAM from 128 to 256 MB.
> That took care of my speed problem.

The increase of the memory is the most likely change to take care of your
speed problem. 128MB is really not much at all and is often almost fully
used even before Squid is started..

> binary. That fixed my yahoo problem though I have no clue why
> it did. The versions of ymessengers were the same on all machines!

Most likely this version of umessenger knows how to correctly use a proxy,
where the other version(s) do not.