Re: [squid-users] About Auth and Multiple Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:17:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Fernando Maior wrote:

> Hmmm,
>
> What I understood from what you wrote, I must have exactly
> the same directives and files for authenticating for both
> squids.

No, not at all.

What you MUST do is to tell each Squid who is to forward the
authentication to a parent proxy that it trusts the parent with login
information by using the login=PASS option.

This does not require authentication to be configured at the first proxy.

> Will squid do it right if using LDAP auth?

The basic authentication scheme will work fine in this configuration (the
LDAP helper is a basic authentication scheme helper).

The digest scheme should in theory also work but is not tested.

Only if you use the "login=*:..." method is authentication required at the
first proxy. This method is required for the NTLM scheme as NTLM can not
be proxied.