RE: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy on FreeBSD 4.9 problem with Yahoo/Hotmail login

From: Clive Cleland <clivec@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:50:13 +1100

Raphael

Try setting MSS = 1400 for TCP connections from your clients (use this
number if your normal MSS is 1500/1476). This is done on the squid server,
not the client machines, as it is negotiated during TCP connection setup.

Under iptables, it is done using the following command:
        -A OUTPUT -d 1.2.3.0/24 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss
1400

I'm sorry I can't help with FreeBSD/ipfw. If you use 'ip route' to setup
routing, I believe it can also be done on a per-route basis.

The problem is that some sites use very large cookies. When the HTTP
request exceeds the size of one packet, the addition of the GRE header makes
the first packet too large, so it is dropped by the WCCP router.

By telling clients to limit their packet size, the addition of the GRE
overhead still results in legal packets. The smaller size should make
negligible difference in network performance, but perhaps you can tune this
to your needs? Also, you might be able to further restrict this to just
port 80 traffic?

Hopefully this at least gives you somewhere to look.

Clive