Re: [squid-users] calculating how much bandwidth is saved?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:47:02 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Payal Rathod wrote:

> A friend of mine who own a cybercafe and has squid setup as a caching
> proxy. She is charged per Mb of download. Is it possible to know how
> much bandwidth is saved due to squid? If yes, how do I go about it?

There is multiple ways of doing this.

The way I prefer is by doing "black box" measurements, comparing the
amount of traffic received by Squid to the amount of traffic sent to the
clients. You can get these values either by querying Squid (via SNMP) or
from the ethernet interface statistics in your OS if the server is dual
homed.

Most of not all of the Squid log file statistics programs also give you
summaries having this information.