RE: [squid-users] reverse ssl-proxy?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:20:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, John Hally wrote:

> to the intranet servers. I'm thinking something along the lines of
> //squid.x.com/server1 gets proxied to server1.intranet.com,
> //squid.x.com/server2 gets proxied to server2.intranet.com, etc.

This is how it usually is done.

The problem is however that the content of server1.intranet.com quite
likely do not like being referenced as https://squid.x.com/server1/ as it
probably contains absolute references to where files should be in the URL
namespace such as <A HREF="/path/to/file">. When the browser sees this the
browser will think the reference is to https://squid.x.com/path/to/file
and not https://squid.c.com/server1/path/to/file

If you can get help from the intranet servers to make sure each
content/application which needs to be accessed via the reverse proxy is in
a unique directory not used on the other intranet servers then this
problem can pretty much be avoided and the reverse proxying gets a lot
simpler.