Re: [squid-users] FTP from browser (Internet Explorer 6) with read-write-modify permission

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:20:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Emilio Salgari wrote:

> My users can access ftp servers using their browser (Internet Explorer) but
> they can ONLY see directories, and see and download files.
>
> When they access ftp servers (through squid), Internet Explorer tells them
> that proxy server lets them ONLY read and download (no modification, no
> writing and no upload).

This is because Microsoft has not implemented FTP file upload via HTTP
proxies in their browser. Netscape had it implemented in their 4.x
browsers, but seem to have forgot how to in 6.x and later..

I think you can get rid of the warning if you disable "folder view for
ftp" in the IE internet properties.

Generally it is advicable to do FTP uploads with a real FTP client using a
FTP proxy such as frox.