[squid-users] Streaming filtering/blocking

From: Eric Geater 11/18/03 <egeater@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:37:29 -0600

Good morning, everyone.

I use Squid 2.5 Stable on a Mandrake 9.1 Linux box. It has proven
itself nicely in the past, but now a gauntlet has been thrown, so to
speak. Apparently, one of our users can still stream audio, even though
I set up an ACL blocking a few sites. I've been reading a bit, and
noticed that one person uses a url_regex command that points to a
block.acl, while another person suggests filtering for mime strings. A
third has suggested killing ports.

I'm going to ask my question differently, however. Is it possible to
get a list of mime types, or offending ports, or even a good list of
likely extensions? The "block.acl" suggestion is a great one that seems
to work (I tested it on blocking "tar" files last night, and it worked),
but I know it can't be all-inclusive, and not likely to stop a lot of
the offending traffic.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Eric
egeater at mscoinc dot com