Re: [squid-users] proxy authentication/system access

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:27:21 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, John Hally wrote:

> I have Squid acting as a proxy and using webmin to control access via
> login/pwd. What I'd like to do is to further limit the user so that they
> can only use the proxy to access certain web servers. I'm guessing that
> I'll have to use something else to authenticate against other than the
> webmin authentication scheme. Has anyone done something similar?

authentication and authorization is different concepts..

I am not a webmin user but you do this by

a) Defining the authentication scheme an helper, allowing Squid to verify
the users authentication credentials (login+password for basic
authentication). This is done with the auth_param directive.

b) Defining access controls telling what users are allowed to request what
when. This is done by the auth_param directive by combining acl
definitions defined by the acl directive.

See the Squid FAQ on access control.