Re: [squid-users] How to make squid serve cached pages even if Internet connection is unavailable?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:49:55 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Chris Wilcox wrote:

> I've done some google trawling on this and it appears that the current Squid
> 2.x release doesn't seem to support 'offline' browsing via the cache as well
> as older versions did. Many sites mention a patch which allows a value to
> be set in the squid.conf file which determines how Squid behaves if a
> monitored network connection is unavailable.

There is the offline_mode directive, and this can be toggled on/off via
cachemgr.

> If at all possible I'd really rather stick to the official squid release.
> If I do this, can I acheive the ability to let users browse cached content
> even if the origin server for this content is down?

Yes, but the chances are very high that the content the users are looking
for is not cached as most index pages these days are dynamically generated
and not cachable. Caching still works great for images, "attachments" and
other static content.