Re: [squid-users] cache dir limits

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:20:06 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Victor Ivanov wrote:

> > the Squid FAQ 8.11 How much memory do I need in my Squid server?
> > <url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.11>
>
> That was the issue indeed. FreeBSD 5.1 comes with 512M hard data segment
> limit. There is an example for extending the limit for FreeBSD 3 and 2
> in the Squid FAQ, and it works with 5.1 too. There are even prepared
> values in /sys/conf/NOTES:
>
> options MAXDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
> options MAXSSIZ=(128UL*1024*1024)
> options DFLDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
>
> The pc has only 512M RAM. I'll measure the amount of swapin/outs and
> the impact on the performance.

Note: The FAQ entry talks about physical RAM requirements for the server
as such.

> Well, it's one of those cheap built-in Promise chips. Its write is
> really slow :(

Then there is most likely serious problems with your IDE bus. RAID0 does
not have a write penalty. Unless this IDE chip does not support DMA in
which case all I/O operations have a serious performance penalty from
competing about the CPU with applications..

> > Why this extremely large cache_mem?
>
> Well I don't know :) I'll put it to 128M or something. It'll probably
> decrease swap usage.

The default is generally fine, and you should be very careful to not
exceed what is said in the FAQ entry referenced above..