Re: [squid-users] Squid versus Microsoft ISA

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:15:57 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Raphael Maseko wrote:

> Have you been able to determine that Squid is actually making use of both
> processors? Do you have other applications running on the same box?

The main Squid process is a single process and can use at most one CPU.
This is by design of Squid. Some CPU may be used by the diskd/aufs I/O
slaves but not very much and it is doubtful this outweigths the general
performance penalty of enabling SMP support in the kernel.

The big benefit of a additional CPU is if you have CPU intensive
redirector helpers such as SquidGuard with a large regex list etc, or if
the same server needs to run other CPU intensive applications while the
proxy is at peak usage.