Re: [squid-users] Large scale Transparent proxy setup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:07:00 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, unixware wrote:

> i am thinking running squid on port 80 .so i can skip
> the iptables . any drawback running squid on port 80
> ???

Squid don't really care, but it won't help you get rid of the iptables
requirement for transparent interception. The interception is primarily
about the destination IP address, not the port.

> next i am thinking how to improve squid network I/O

Then you should most likely look into the epoll/kpoll support in Squid-3
which attempts to address the major bottlenecks of squids network I/O on
larger scale servers. Without these the CPU usage skyrockets as the number
of concurrent connections increases.