Re: [squid-users] IE password not saved for web site - NTLM/Squid??

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:12:37 +0100 (CET)

NTLM authentication can not by design be proxied via HTTP proxies.

As a bandaid you should upgrade to Squid-2.5.STABLE2 or later which
largely limits the damage done by NTLM authentication by removing any NTLM
challenges sent by the server, leaving only Basic authentication.
Alternatively you can have the browser configured to use the proxy rather
than intercepting the traffic without the knowledge of the browser which
should accomplish the same assuming the browser is reasonably up to date.

It is not at all related to the save-password feature. Just the fact that
NTLM authentication completely fails if attempted via a HTTP compliant
HTTP proxy.