Re: [squid-users] Squid versus Microsoft ISA - Query RE: Squid Reporting and NT Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:26:12 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 jonathan_hughes@goodyear.co.za wrote:

> (1) Can you Squid pro's advise me on the reporting options avaliable to
> Squid. I demo'd Squid last week Friday to management and they wanted to
> know what reporting options Squid offered.

You can find a list of the reporting tools known to the Squid developers
under the section "Related / Logfile analysis" from the
www.squid-cache.org home page.

Which tool depends a little on what information you are interested to see
included in the reports, but two quite commonly discussed reporting tools
are calamaris or sarg.

> (2) If I have my Squid server setup as a single primary parent cache server
> in a fully Microsoft Domain based network - CAN I authenticate my Squid
> users via Samba etc.

yes.

> and are there support documents avaliable for this.

Yes, but documentation can always be improved.

> I run Squid2.5 on Red Hat 9. The domain controllers are all pure MS
> BDC/PDC's. Our setup is quite simple. SAMBA documentation suggests that
> this is only possible if the PDC/BDC's areLinux boxes. Looks as if this
> functionality is not yet built into SAMBA 3.0.0. Any advice/leads?

The normal configuration with Samba is using Windows PDC/BDC boxes..