Re: [squid-users] tracking down leaks

From: josh <josh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:43:40 -0500

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:40:10AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, josh wrote:
>
> > How do I track down a memory leak?
>
> I usuaully use memprof on RedHat 7.X for this purpose.
>
> > How do I fix one if I find it?
>
> Once it is tracked down it is usually not hard to plug the leak.
>
> But it should be noticed that Squid-2.5.STABLE4 is not known to leak any
> memory. So far all suspected memory leaks have been misconfigurations not
> following the memory requirements.
>
> > does not really show up as part of the squid process, and is not
> > returned when squid stops.
>
> Then it is not Squid who is leaking, if there is any leak at all.
>
> What is the detail symptoms you have in memory usage which makes you think
> there is a leak?
>
> Regards
> Henrik

I have noticed that my system seems to be using more and more memory
over time as reported by top and free while the number of applications
running stays the same. Then it crashes eventually. Stopping squid
doesn't seem to result in the memory numbers going back down. (This
may be to a misunderstanding of how memory use is reported by free and
top on my part) I am starting with Squid as I compiled it so may have
chosen some option poorly, it uses the most memory, has more
discussion of factors affecting memory in its FAQ, has discussions of
problems with memory leaks on readhat kernels in its mail archive and
is running constantly. It could be the kernel, I/O, or some other
process, but squid seems a good place to start.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us