RE: [squid-users] False Web addresses, and how to handle them

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:16:08 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Eric Geater 12/12/03 wrote:

> I didn't understand what I saw; that's what prompted my reply. I can
> put something in my ACLs, but I'd like to know the implications behind
> its structure. Something simple like gator.com is self-explanatory, but
> I just didn't understand what "acl UrlHasLogin urllogin ." and "acl
> SketchyLogin urllogin [^a-zA-Z0-9]" actually meant.

The acl is using regex patterns just like the other regex based acls in
Squid (url_regex, dstdomain_regex, urlpath_regex, browser etc).

. simply means anything in the login field of the URL.

[^a-zA-Z0-9] means anything except for a-z A-Z or 0-9.

There is numerous good regex guides out on the internet if you want to
learn more about regexes.

> I still don't understand the implication of a login or login character
> in this regard, because in my limited knowledge, "login" is what happens
> when you announce who you are to a system, and not a result in a URL.

Not in this specific question. Internet URLs may also contain login
information using the syntax

  protocol://user:password@host/path/to/file

What this acl does is matching the user:password part of the URL.