Re: [squid-users] Squid with large memory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:56:59 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 BrianC8876@aol.com wrote:

> Is it possible to build a machine with say 16GB of RAM and have squid
> store virtually everything in RAM without using a ram disk?

Only on 64-bit CPU systems.

On 32-bit class systems the hardware (or to be more precise the
instruction set) limits the per-process memory usage to just above 3 GB.
32 bit instructions can address 4GB, and out of these 4GB the kernel
reserves some.

> How efficiently will it use the RAM in the system (with cache_mem set
> to a very high value)?

It would most likely be more efficient using a ram disk.

> What sort of algorithm is used to determine which pages get stored in
> memory? I would assume that it stores the most requested pages in memory.

There is no distinction what gets stored in memory. The cahce_mem cache
works by not removing things from memory after they have been forwarded.

To control what stays in memory see the following directives

  memory_replacement_policy
  maximum_object_size_in_memory
  cache_mem