Re: [squid-users] Transparent cache error reporting

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:33:10 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Berant Lemmenes wrote:

> I've had two thoughts... can squid just pass on the original error back
> to the client?

In the cases of Squid error messages the error generated by Squid is the
original error message.

> I know I'm not describing that well, what I would like is instead of
> squid returning an error page back to the client and by doing that make
> the client's browser believe it got a correct response, have squid
> "fail" if a server is done or something, that way they get IE (or
> netscape etc...) to generate the error. This way they don't see
> anything out of the ordinary.

Most of the errors is impossible to have the client generate after the
request has been forwarded to the proxy.

> Other wise another thought was to just replace squid's error pages with
> IE's pages (for each appropriate error type)

You are free to rewrite the Squid error messages in any way you like. The
IE error pages is in my opinion not the best template to use however (to
generic based on to little information)

> Any one else have a similar setup and or addressed this same type of
> problem a different way?

One way this can be addressed is to instead of linking to "your cache
manager" email address, link to a "report problem" page. By using some
logics in that page based on who the user is you can easily provide
correct information.