Re: [squid-users] ftp access

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:40:35 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 Jim_Brouse/PYT@PASCUAYAQUITRIBE.ORG wrote:

> We are trying to ftp to a site with the following format
> ftp://usertname@ftpsite

Ok.

> Although the error we are getting is "cache access denied" we can access
> sites on that machine but we get the error cache access denied when trying
> to ftp to site with the above method.

Then your browser does not support HTTP authentication to ftp:// URLs and
you need to provide the password within the requested URL

   ftp://username:password@ftpsite/

> We authenticate users for internet access based on IP addresses not on
> usernames and passwords so I am not sure if this is cachemgr.cgi issue or
> not?

It is not.

> There is a username/password that the site is requiring I am not sure if
> squid is also requiring something in addition to that?

No, but Squid needs to be told the password somehow and this is where the
problem is.

When only the login is provided in the URL given to Squid squid uses HTTP
authentication to request the browser to provide the full login
credentials. However, not all browsers supports this and when not
supported you get the "authentication required" error message instead of
the expected login box.