[squid-users] Squid Authentication : Again

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:08:17 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to figure something out. When Squid is configured to
authenticate, how does it keep up with the different session for
individual users who have logged on?

I have looed into this before, and actually asked questions to the group
about various aspects of Squid authentication, but I really need to know
how Squid keeps up with individual authenticated users.

The reason I ask is, and I have asked this before, is there any way to
have Squid keep up with individual sessions without authentication?

N2H2, the company that wrote the Bess Filtering system, uses Squid
without authentication and a filtering helper like squidGuard that
supports overrides of blocked sites. User who have authority to
override sites, login and then somehow Squid can distinguish those
users. How can Squid do this?

Has N2H2 written some type of wrapper around Squid you think?

I have asked N2H2 for a copy of their Squid code, but they put me off
and then lately they told me that I have to talk to their legal
department. Even though Squid is under GPL, they still want me to jump
through hoops with their legal department.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get Squid to recognize
particular user sessions without requiring authentication?

I have written a system that does just about everything that the Secure
Computing/N2H2 Smartfilter and Bess systems do, but I have to have my
users login to Squid so Squid passes the user info to my helper.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Murrah Boswell