Re: [squid-users] Logging Question

From: <BrianC8876@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:39:07 EST

In a message dated 1/1/04 10:57:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email@christoph-haas.de writes:

> Nothing. IMHO you just disabled the output of /debug/ messages.
> The access.log and store.log files are still written without additional
> debug information. See the cache_access_log (et al) statements in your
> squid.conf. You can possibly redirect them to /dev/null - although I
> wonder why you don't like that output.

feedback is great, but I cant imagine that the 200-500 extra disk accesses
per second plus the calls to sprintf are doing anything positive for the
performance. /dev/null will eliminate the physical disk accesses, but not the system
calls or gathering and formatting overhead. It would be nice if you could get
squid to just_do_caching to see what the thing could do without all the
peripheral junk. Plus on a busy system the logs are enormous, about 10GB with 5
rotations.

Brian