Re: [squid-users] Caching of cookies

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:02:54 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> is there a possibility of caching Cookies with Squid as well? I have some
> sites I would like reach from my internal LAN without entering usernames or
> passwords, but instead store them in the proxy itself.

Not without changing the code.

> Is this possible with Squid or any other tool?

The change is quite trivial, just search for HDR_SET_COOKIE and you will
find it.

The reason why it looks the way it does is due to a conflict between the
Netscape Cookie specification and the later HTTP State RFC. In the
original documentation caches was probited from caching cookies, in the
RFC cookies are just an HTTP header and is under the control of
Cache-Control like everything else.

Be warned however that few if any sites expects cookies to be cached.