Re: [squid-users] squid support socks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:54:38 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Abdul Khader wrote:

> I want to configure squid to support socks and I want
> squid to know how to do it.

Squid is a HTTP proxy.

To provide SOCKS proxy capabilities to your users you need a SOCKS proxy
in addition to Squid. This can run on the same server as Squid with no
problem. Dante <url:http://www.inet.no/dante/> is a good free SOCKS proxy.

If you want Squid to connect to the Internet using a parent SOCKS proxy
then you need to socksify Squid. The tools for doing so is included in the
SOCKS software.

> I also want my squid to allow pop/smtp and ftp.

Each of these require their own proxy softare. Or alternatively you can
look into using NAT/Masquerade.

Squid can proxy FTP requests from web browsers only (HTTP aware clients
configured to use Squid as proxy for ftp:// requests)